The 'I need a photo for my mom' photo. Full subfusc attire, in front of my college, Keble. Holding my 'mortorboard' hat, which we had to carry around all day for the formality of matriculation. The mortorboard is only allowed on the head for graduation, and students apparently are able to be fined if seen wearing it prior to.
Beyond the Bodleian library, after the ceremony, with some of my acland site graduate houseing MBA friends.
No joke, I took this picture of our dining hall today before brunch. Apparently Harry Potter wanted to use our dining hall (Keble College) because it is one of the longest, however we refused to take down the paintings, and we had a conference going on at the time. This is the story going 'round...
The magnificant Sheldonian Theatre. Matriculation was held here today... in English and Latin. I guess matriculation is a sort of 'rite of passage,' a formal welcoming into the University. Our name is added to 'the list' of Oxford students. If you do not matriculate, you are not a student.
Street signs. Well, they are more 'that place is over there' signs, instead of having the street names. The street names are, at times, conveniantly displayed low on the corner of buildings. You could almost call it exciting when you get off a bus with three 30-60 pound bags and are trying to find your way to your hostile the first day.
These are everywhere and I love them. I am assuming for cleaning the bottom of your shoes.
I live in an old hospital (Graduate Housing). It is sort of quaint, charming, and unnerving all at the same time. There are whole wings that are sectioned off, and abandoned. There are random locked doors, staircases, and secret passageways up to the roof. The elevators are not in service, and all but two of the doors to the outside world are permanently shut unless you break the fire alarm. This is the cooridor, in the middle of the two courtyards, that I absolutley love in the daytime, and will not cross at night.
My room. Simple and nice, with a bathroom to your left. I also have a 'nurse call' button on the electrical pillar on the left there. Just in case.
3 comments:
Look at you!
I'm so proud of you and your mortarboard.
We should write a book comparting school cultures. Add it to the list , right after Become Rap Stars.
ps. I am going to hear this girl rapper called Kid Sister on Wed night. I'll see if she wants to collaborate?
chelsea you're so cool
we will now be officially blog stalking you
Thank you for the description of Keble College's Acland site. The college web page provides little information about the accommodations.
Post a Comment